Protect Your Puppies Paws!
Puppy paws are sensitive.
It is that time of year when the roads are getting way to HOT! Please think about your dogs paws before taking them out for a walk on the hot pavement and asphalt. I have put together a list of 5 ways to keep your dogs pads from burning this summer.
- Take your dog for a walk EARLY! First thing in the morning is a good time because the roads have cooled over night.
- Go to a park with grass. If it is to difficult to get out early consider driving to a local park and walk them in the grass. This will make your pup very happy, as there will be lots of new smells!
- Try doggy booties. It is not easy to train your dog to use them but if you can succeed your pup’s paws can be protected year round.
- Test the pavement with your hand. A good rule of thumb to go by is if you put your hand on the pavement and it is to hot for your hand it is to hot for your pups pads.
- Wash and check your dog’s paws regularly. It is always a good idea to check your pup’s pads and see if there are any tender spots or potential cuts. Take a warm washcloth and wipe your dogs paws down and give them a thorough inspection regularly.